Monday, September 21, 2009

He Will Cover You With His Feathers..




"And I say, 'Oh that I had wings like a dove! I would fly away and be at rest; yes, I would wander far away; I would lodge in the wilderness; I would hurry to find a shelter from the raging wind and tempest." Psalm 55:6-8

There are so many verses in the Bible about the wings of birds.

It mentions that we can rise up and soar high as on the wings of an eagle (Isaiah 40)



The Psalms have numerous references to hiding, or finding shelter and refuge in the shadow of God's wings.




Under His wings I am safely abiding,
Though the night deepens and tempests are wild,
Still I can trust Him; I know He will keep me,
He has redeemed me, and I am His child.

Under His wings, under His wings,
Who from His love can sever?
Under His wings my soul shall abide,
Safely abide forever.

Under His wings, what a refuge in sorrow!
How the heart yearningly turns to His rest!
Often when earth has no balm for my healing,
There I find comfort, and there I am blessed.

Under His wings, oh, what precious enjoyment!
There will I hide till life’s trials are o’er;
Sheltered, protected, no evil can harm me,
Resting in Jesus, I’m safe evermore.
William Cushing


When life's daily little tempests or raging storms seem to be overtaking, we always have a place to run to. The Lord our God, our Father awaits with His wings outstretched to offer shelter, safe haven, rest, security and peace. He is our Rock, and our Refuge. This God is our God. Know where to run. And maybe one day...we will fly. :-)

Blessings in the shadow of His wings.

Julie

1 comment:

robert said...

Thanks for posting the words of William Cushing's hymn, "Under His Wings." And you are right, there are many verses of Scripture that make reference to sheltering wings, including the sad one where the Lord Jesus wanted to shelter those who "were not willing" for it (Matt. 23:37).

If you enjoy reading about the old hymns, and those who wrote them, I encourage you to check out my daily blog, Wordwise Hymns. God bless.