Friday, February 5, 2010

Classic Comfort Food



Well, I didn't get the photo when I pulled it out of the oven. But it was pretty.

And it sure did smell good. And it was bubbly and golden brown crusted, and...... it got eaten.

I thought I would at least make reference to it today, since I knew there was another Foodie Friday going on. At least a third of it was still left, last I saw, so I grabbed my camera and went out to grab a shot to show that golden brown crust, but alas....this is all that was left..



What's a blogger to do???

I'll give you the next best thing. Here is where I got my recipe for Chicken Pot Pie in an Iron Skillet.


Just arrived in my mail box yesterday. And the March Issue is awesome!!


And here is the photo that came with the recipe. This is the best one I've made yet.
Cooking in the Iron Skillet just made a difference. There are several other recipes to be done in the skillet and I plan on trying the Berry Crumble recipe.

So grab yourself a Country Living (March 2010 issue) and turn to the food section and try out this new take...on an old take...with a traditional recipe. I don't think you will have any leftovers if you have more than 2 or 3 persons in your house!

Jump over to Gollum's Foodie Friday to see yummy pictures and get delicious recipes to try out.

http://designsbygollum.blogspot.com/

Thanks for visiting, and remember...

10 comments:

Dianna said...

Looks like a good recipe to try! I love recipes that call for baking in an iron skillet. Mine is starting to get some age to it, but I did a fritata in it last weekend and it was WONDERFUL. The skillet allows browning that can't be beat.

Theresa said...

Good Morning Julie, I have that magazine and I saw that recipe! My Mama always cooked in an iron skillet but the only one I have is a tiny one that was my Daddy's. It sure sounds delicious. I hate it when I forget to take a picture before it is all gone, but... that shows how good it was:) I am making tomato chutney today to put over steak in the crockpot. It smells soooooo good! I'll be starving by lunchtime. Have a blessed day dear friend!

The Quintessential Magpie said...

Julie, that looks like an excellent testimony to me! LOL! Thanks for sharing. I love chicken pot pie in an iron skillet!

Happy Foodie Friday...

XO,

Sheila :-)

Yvonne @ StoneGable said...

Julie- That is so funny! Well it must be good, because it is gone! I love to cook in an iron skillet- the food is always crusty and delicious. I loved this post!!!
Yvonne

Candace @ Candace Creations said...

Thanks for this post! I have an iron skillet but never really use it! I didn't know how much better it could be!
Speaking of food...I'm in the mood to make some cupcakes with Ganache frosting! YUMM!

Patricia @ ButterYum said...

There isn't an iron skillet large enough to make chicken pot pie for my crew, but it sure looks wonderful!

:)
ButterYum

Julie Harward said...

Hi there..thanks for the visit...you are so kind! I'm so glad we have connected, I am adding you to my blog list side bar. Love the saying about being pushed to our knees..we are seeing a lot of that in this old world and people coming unto God like never before. My husband was a marine too. I look forward to getting to know you, come say hi any time Julie :D

Nancy Jane said...

To disappear so quickly it had to be a wonderful dish. I do love chicken pot pie, but would never think to use an iron skillet. This is definitely something that I would like to try!

Patricia @ ButterYum said...

Haha - you're too funny. I have one word to say.... Beano!

:)
ButterYum

Patricia @ ButterYum said...

PS - I'm sure your 19 year old could eat a pan full himself. And forget about Mr. Marine... he'd need two pans! My deepest gratitude for his service to this great nation of ours!!!

:)
ButterYum