Monday, March 23, 2009

HIS WORD IS STILL ALIVE!

Proverbs 31:26,30
"When she speaks, her words are wise, and kindness is the rule for everything she says....Charm can be deceptive and beauty doesn't last, but a woman who fears and reverences God shall be greatly praised."


Today I read in II Chronicles on my journey through the Old Testament. The passage was about King Solomon and the time during his reign where the Queen of Sheba came to visit him. She wanted to check him out. Many great and almost unbelievable tales were being spread far and wide of this man's wisdom and wealth and works. She made the long trip to see with her own eyes, and "to test him with hard questions." (9:1)

By the end of her inquisition, she was exclaiming, "Everything I heard about you in my own country is true! I didn't believe it until I got here and saw it with my own eyes. Your wisdom is far greater than I could ever have imagined. What a privilege for these men of yours to stand here and listen to you talk! Blessed be the Lord your God!" (9:5-7)

As I pondered this passage, and why God had chosen to place it in the great narrative of His Word to us, I was reminded to glance back to this part in the story of Solomon's life and reign. In II Chronicles chapter 1 God had told Solomon to ask for anything he wished, and God would give it to him. As we know, Solomon asked for wisdom and knowledge to rule properly over the people that God had placed under him. And in chapter nine, there is the confirmation that God delivered, and then some!!!

This man was wise beyond his years. He surpassed every man that had been before or has lived since his days on this earth. Because he loved the Lord, and wished to follow in his father's footsteps, who was a man after God's own heart, He asked for the better portion. Because he did, God gave him all he asked for and more...great wealth and honor.

My thoughts ran to this verse in Proverbs 31, that much quoted chapter about the characteristics of the godly woman. "When she speaks, her words are wise." Wise? Where in the world would I dare to place myself in a self-inventory of whether my words are wise or not? With what rule of measure can I gauge my speech, my advice, and my chatter as I pursue the virtues of the godly and biblical woman?

Surely it cannot be from any source that arises out of my own knowledge gained from "life", and personal experiences, and the reading of books that challenge me to better character! If this were so, then all women on the earth would have some measure of good wisdom simply because they lived! Not so! This great source of wisdom could only be the One that the great King Solomon himself received from. It is a supernatural rendering of wisdom that we cannot obtain on our own. It must be graced upon us by God Himself.

I don't know about you, but as a daughter of God with many women around me during the week, chatting and sharing, and exchanging information, and revelling in all manner of conversations about our children and our husbands and our daily events, I NEED this measure of wisdom!!!!!

I need a God of power and grace to enable me to speak carefully and with full measure of discernment. I require His ears of compassion and His language of love and empathy showered upon me in order to speak any word of wisdom or kindness in those moments of conversation with sisters.

Who am I to speak with any fruitful or "selective pieces of advice" to another woman in this world? I am the least of these. I have nothing to give, little to offer that would have any value, if I do not ASK it from my Lord and Father. Only in realizing the worthlessness and inability I represent as a weak minded woman, an undisciplined "trainee" in God's usable resources here on this earth do I arrive at the point where I fall on my knees and plead for wisdom to speak for the honor of my God.

As a mom and wife, I kneel in a position of great "neediness" to fulfill the calling of God to be a Proverbs 31 daughter. Wisdom from above is VITAL! Without it, I cannot survive these roles. If I rely only on my own resources, and advice from other well-meaning women to gain the knowledge necessary to pursue this path, I will not achieve success. My children and my husband will be left wanting.

To my sisters in Christ, I throw out this challenge. Look upon the choice of King Solomon. Ponder what he chose for his life and calling in this world. Ask yourself,... what am I longing for? What is your vision for yourself in your hour-by-hour, day-by-day "rule" over your activities and calling? Would you rise up and choose God's Word to arm your words with all that is needed to serve and edify those around you?

ASK GOD FOR WISDOM! Know in your heart that the One who loves you more than you can fathom will give to you what you ask. It is His promise.

"If you need wisdom, ask our generous God, and He will give it to you. He will not rebuke you for asking. (James 1:5)

You will not need to wonder if the words you offer are just added flow to a conversation. You will know that you speak from a heart that has sought out the "better portion" from your Father! HE will give you words to honor Him and to profit another's need for encouragement and godly growth. Your sisters will feel energized. Your husband will feel blessed. Your children will feel secure and loved.

How are you feeling about yourself as you "check out" your supply of wisdom? Are you feeling like you are half-full? Are you looking to a wrong source to be filled?

How do you measure up to the challenge, "When she speaks, her words are wise"?

Run after this trait in your walk to be a godly woman in this world. Let your source always be the One who desires to give you beyond what you could even imagine! Put your requests for wisdom into gear, before you open your mouth to use your tongue.

I know what I desire. May no words that I utter ever dishonor my God and my King. May the language I speak in my home never tear down the ones whom I love. May the conversations I hold with other sisters never be idle and in vain.

Let's pursue this common goal together! Let us honor our Father with our tongues. His Word is alive and still speaking words of wisdom to us today, even as HE Himself spoke to King Solomon in the days of old. Seek out the rich blessing of God's words to you, so that your words will be His words. When others come to check you out , to "test" you with some of the "hard questions" in their lives, will they go away marvelling at the power of your God and His answers? Will they be inspired to worship the true and living Lord?

Truly the loftiest goal we can have in our lives as women of God is to search for Godly wisdom and apply it to our hearts! May His words of wisdom and kindness be your defining rule today!

Blessings!!!

signature



No comments: